Friday 23 June 2017

Preview: Darlington Operatic Society have 3 local performers set for stardom

Three members of a local amateur theatre company have been accepted into prestigious theatre schools.
Nineteen year old Ruby Hoggarth has been accepted into the Guildford School of Acting. 24 year old Rachel Slattery will be on her way to the London School of Musical theatre while 19 year old Estelle Denison-French has just received word she has been accepted onto the ArtsEd Musical Theatre course.

All three young actresses recently appeared in musical productions with Darlington Operatic Society. Ruby played the role of The Lady Of The Lake in the company’s recent production of Spamalot while Rachel took on the challenging role of Elle Woods in Legally Blonde which was performed at Darlington Civic Theatre in April 2017. All three were in the company’s most recent production West Side Story and all were due to appear in Strictly Musicals 2 in November.

 Ruby Hoggarth

Ruby said “I feel absolutely ecstatic. The Guildford School of Acting has been my dream school since I stepped foot on the campus back in 2015. Since then, working with DarlingtonOS has given me the confidence to go out and give my all into every audition and, regardless of the outcome, still be happy with my performance. To be given the chance to train at one of the world’s leading institutions for musical theatre and acting is such an opportunity – I feel so excited for what the future holds.”

Guildford School of Acting is one of the most highly regarded theatre schools in the UK, past students at the college include Brenda Blethyn, Bill Nighy, Michael Ball and Celia Imrie.

Rachel Slattery

Rachel told us “I am absolutely over the moon. Going to drama school for Musical Theatre is something I have always wanted to do, and now it’s happening, it doesn’t seem quite real! I’m sad to be leaving DarlingtonOS as I have gained so many friends whilst taking part in the shows and it will always have a really special place in my heart. I’d urge anyone interested in performing and meeting new people to join the company.”

Past student at the London School of Musical Theatre have appeared in shows such as the current West End smash hit Half A Sixpence, Mamma Mia, Les Miserables, Kinky Boots and The Phantom Of The Opera.

Estelle Denison-French 

Estelle told us “I can’t quite believe it. After one of the longest (and hottest – it was 34 degrees during the dance audition) days of my life I am so excited to have received this news. I can’t thank everyone enough – friends and family, who have supported me and helped me get this far.”

Famous Alumni from ArtsEd include Julie Andrews, Samantha Barks, Sarah Brightman and Will Young.
Julian Cound, Chairman of Darlington Operatic Society said “We are absolutely thrilled for Ruby, Rachel and Estelle, all three have been fantastic advocates for DarlingtonOS and it has been a pleasure working alongside them both in Legally Blonde, Spamalot and West Side Story. The girls were all cast in our current show Strictly Musicals 2 so we are going to have to re-distribute some songs, but we have the strength in depth to fill the very big boots left behind by these three wonderful performers – we wish them well in the next step on their career ladder.”


Strictly Musicals 2 will run from Tuesday 21 to Saturday 25 November. Tickets go on sale on Monday 17 July. For updates or more information visit darlingtonos.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment