Thursday 17 November 2022

Theatre Review - STRICTLY BALLROOM THE MUSICAL - DARLINGTON HIPPODROME

 


I’VE never seen the Baz Luhrmann film of Strictly Ballroom and I’ve never watched Strictly Come Dancing, so I must admit I was not sure what to expect of Strictly Ballroom The Musical and if I would really enjoy the evening.

Set in the world of the Australian open amateur ballroom dancing, Scott, Kevin Clifton, is desperate to break out into his own dance steps away from the ballroom’s rules and restrictions. Scott finds Fran, Maisie Smith, to partner with, but his family and friends disagree.

From the start the show is full of pure glitz and glamour all the way. The choreography from the ensemble as expected is slick. Kevin Clifton, as a professional dancer is obviously outstanding, his voice may a surprise from some people but having seen him perform previously, I knew he could certainly perform in all areas. The highlight of the show though is definitely Maisie Smith. She is absolutely incredible the dancing, the acting, but especially the voice – I was mesmerised every time she sang. She has certainly got a future in musical theatre.

The finale was for a little short for me, I’d have loved a long finale reprising numbers from the show, luckily there was still time to be on my feet enjoying the final minutes.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a fan of Strictly or not. You’ll leave the theatre knowing you’ve had an amazing night of entertainment. I can’t wait to see the show again.

Runs until Saturday 19th November.



No comments:

Post a Comment