Tuesday 12 September 2017

Panto Preview - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at Darlington Hippodrome


Liam Mellor, Zoe Birkett, Lee Ryan and Eric Potts

Boyband and Eastenders star Lee Ryan was joined by vocalist and West End leading lady Zoe Birkett, pantomime dame extraordinaire Eric Potts and funny man Liam Mellor in launching Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which opens on Saturday 9th December at the newly named Darlington Hippodrome when it reopens its doors following an extensive and exciting refurbishment.


Lee Ryan
Since joining the BRIT award-winning boyband Blue in 2001, Lee Ryan and his bandmates went on to sell over 14 million records worldwide. Lee is currently starring as Woody in Eastenders for the BBC alongside his busy international performing commitments with Blue. Lee said “This will be my second panto and I am looking forward to it, it’s always a giggle, it’s hard work but it will be fun and I’ll enjoy it.” Lee continued talking about his career “I have worked with amazing actors, amazing singers and musicians. I have worked with Stevie Wonder, Elton John with Blue and Lionel Ritchie. Being on Eastenders there’s an amazing list of actors I have had the pleasure of working with.”


Pop Idol finalist, West End leading lady and Darlington diva Zoe Birkett will star alongside him as the Wicked Queen.

Zoe Birkett

Best-known for his role as Coronation Street’s eccentric baker Diggory Compton. No stranger to pantomime Eric has appeared in and written numerous pantomimes over the last two decades, bringing his own unique brand of comedy and showmanship, in an array of outrageous costumes to audiences’ delight. Eric explained his love of pantos “I love the tradition, I love the history, the fact that it’s really the show that gets kids into a big theatre for the first time and hopefully makes it an experience they want to repeat.” Eric Potts stars as Mrs Crumble the dame, “I played the old man character to begin with for about two years since then it’s been the dame which I really enjoy, it’s a real privilege to be part of that history, it’s a great part to play, it’s great fun. To be in the first panto after this wonderful refurbishment is a real joy and pleasure, we have a great script with lots of comedy.” Eric will also direct this year’s pantomime.

Eric Potts

Completing the line-up, Liam Mellor will star as Snow White’s best friend Muddles. As an actor and comedian Liam has starred in numerous stage productions including Chekhov and Shakespeare as well as numerous pantomimes across the UK. Liam said “This is my 13th year in panto, panto was first job and I used to watch pantos when I was a kid, I used to go the Sheffield Lyceum every year with my Grandad and it was actually QDOS who produced them, I loved them so much I knew that was what I wanted to do. I always play the idiot, typecasting, I work to my strengths. I read the script a couple of weeks and ago and it is a completely and utterly different script to when I last did Snow White with QDOS. The way they are doing the dwarfs is new and different and it is tailored to this areas humour.

Liam Mellor

Following its multi-million pound restoration, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs marks Darlington Hippodrome’s first full length production to play the venue with its improved front of house spaces, backstage facilities and scope for bigger productions. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will be no exception, with a debut of spectacular flying effects and a magical mirror never seen before.

Liam Mellor, Lee Ryan, Zoe Birkett and Eric Potts

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs runs from Saturday 9th December 2017 until Sunday 14th January 2018. To book contact the Box Office on or visit www.darlingtonhippodrome.co.uk  


No comments:

Post a Comment